Friday, 12 December 2014

Palestinian pours acid on group of Israelis in suspected attack............

The scene of the acid attack on Route 60, December 12, 2014.
A Palestinian man poured acid on a family of Israelis in the West Bank on Friday in a suspected terrorist attack. There were conflicting reports about whether five or six Israelis were wounded.
The victims are said to be lightly wounded.
An Israeli civilian struck the attacker with his car and then shot him. He is in moderate condition, according to Magen David Adom emergency services.
Ma'an News Agency identified the attacker as Jamal Abd al-Majid Ghayatha, 45, from the village of Nahalin. Army sources said he was imprisoned in Israel from 2004-2007 for activities related to Islamic Jihad. Israeli army forces raided his home in Nahalin.
The attack occurred on Route 60 between Jerusalem and Bethlehem, near the Betar Ilit settlement.
Magen David Adom paramedics treated the Israeli victims, who included a 27-year-old man, another man in his 50s, a 52-year-old woman and three girls, aged 11, 12 and 18. The older man was taken to Hadassah University Hospital, Ein Karem, while the rest were taken to Shaare Zedek Medical Center.
The victims reported feeling a burning sensation on their skin and in their eyes as well as shortness of breath.
According to an Israel Defense Forces officer, the attacker also tried to stab one of the men with a screwdriver following the acid attack.
A spokesman for the Border Police said soldiers saw a man holding a screwdriver and chasing someone, and by the time they caught up to the attacker, the Israeli civilian had shot him. The attacker is being treated at Hadassah University Hospital, Ein Karem.
Elsewhere in the West Bank on Friday, a Palestinian driver crashed into concrete barriers at a hitchhiking post near the Samaria Regional Brigade's army base. No Israeli soldiers were hurt in the incident, while the driver was lightly injured.
An initial report from the army said that a Palestinian driver sped toward two soldiers at a bus stop near the army base, south of Nablus. Security forces continue to investigate the incident, and the driver is being interrogated.
Meanwhile, some 600 Palestinians were clashing with Israeli forces in Hebron. Israel Defense Forces soldiers were using crowd-dispersal methods to break up the demonstrations.
Over the past month, 11 people have been killed in Palestinian attacks, mostly in Jerusalem, though there have been other attacks in Tel Aviv and the West Bank.